Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole feed

To: Jim Lee <jtlmd@blackhole.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole feed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:30:01 -0700
The bifilar-wound chokes on a 2.4-in o.d. Fair-Rite #31 toroid are the
best choice for this application.  To be more conservative with respect
to power handling, build two of them and connect them in series near the
feedpoint (that is, up in the air).  Twelve bifilar turns is "right" for
your frequency range.

To wind them, measure out two lengths of #12 THHN, allowing 2.25 inches
per turn plus another six inches for termination, use small ty-wraps to
hold them together to form a transmission line, then start winding from
the center in both directions until you have 12 turns of that line.
Then use a suitable means of strain relief and connectorization to
insert them in the line, cutting off the excess length. If it's a fairly
long line and you have a long wire or vertical antenna for 80 or 160
nearby, you might choose to use one of the chokes at the feedpoint and
the second one further down the line as an "egg insulator" as suggested
in the tutorial to prevent interaction with other antennas.

73, Jim K9YC