Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Soap - How Much?

To: towertalk@infinichron.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Soap - How Much?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 20:35:27 -0700
Goop up the first 10' very heavily.  Then a couple of ounces slathered
on every 15' are more than enough. The person feeding can do it as the
cables go in the conduit.  Wear nitrile gloves or the half rubberized
gloves sold in bulk.  So a couple of quarts should do it for 400'.  I
prefer the 1 gallon tub packaging as it is a one hand job to scoop it
out and smear it on to the cables.  For about 500' of total runs I used
about half a gallon.

Corrugated tubing is cheaper than PVC sch 40 but has the risk of
collapse and the wire ends catching.  Even the joint ends of sch 40 can
hang up the pull.

Others have mentioned the shop vac plus bag means for pulling a
messenger line.  I like to use a plastic grocery bag balled up and tied
to conduit measuring tape.  Besides being cheap, light, smooth and flat
the tape is marked every foot so you get an accurate end to end
measurement.  Often it is different than what seems logical.  Then the
measuring tape is used to pull the main pull braided rope or webbing.

Grant KZ1W