Re: [TowerTalk] Suggestions -- VNA, Smith Chart Software

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Suggestions -- VNA, Smith Chart Software
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 16:19:25 -0700
On 5/9/12 4:05 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:

> Last time I wanted to buy MatLab (for some servo work) the cheapest
> license was over $1K and I'm not sure for how long.  There are ~$100
> student versions, but they are tied tightly to courses, proof of
> enrollment, and have date expirations, IIRC.  There is an open source
> competitor SciLab, but I have no experience with it.

yes.. $99 academic license, if you qualify...
Octave is free and it might work, although the reason I like Matlab over
Octave is because the plotting works better and is more integrated
(Octave shells out to gnuplot, so you have all those issues to work with)

But what I have for smith charts and Matlab is more for plotting than
design.

The old XLZIZW excel spreadsheet did a nice job ingesting tabular
impedance data and then doing a smith chart with matching components,
but it doesn't work on new versions of excel.