Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Crank-up/Tubular Tower ??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Temporary Crank-up/Tubular Tower ??
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 16:51:49 -0700
On 6/2/12 4:35 PM, K8RI wrote:
> On 6/2/2012 3:45 PM, Dirk Hacker wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Does anyone know of any mfg's of tubular towers for more temporary type use ?
>> (incl. surplus)
>
> At one time, some one made a crank up, tubular tower with a "dirt
> base".  IIRC it went to either 35 or 40 feet and was rated for a small
> tribander.  These things tend to be a wee bit flexible. It's likely that
> someone on the list remembers them.  It might have been Wilson as it was
> around that time.
>

>> I am looking for a light / tubular type of tower approx 35'-40' high
>> ...perhaps can crank down (i.e "nest") to 12'-15'
>> ...needs to be stronger/more robust than fiberglass poles or "push-up" poles
>> (from Radio Shack, etc.)
>>
>> Looking for similar to MA-40 tubular tower but doesn't require concrete base
>> (i.e. temporary install)
>> I want to put small/medium size tri-bander&   6m antenna on it.
>>
>> I've heard of some army surplus "quick-deploy" towers...these seem extra
>> heavy
>> to move around&   expensive (>$500.00)

what about a lightweight extension ladder?  With some outriggers made of
2x2s or suitable tubing, it could be more stable than the 40 foot pushup.

If you want a serious project.. Home Depot has lightweight 24ft
extension ladders on sale for about $150.  Hook 2 or 3 of them together

do you need light weight?  Steel pipe is cheap.  A big tripod is easy to
make and fairly rugged. Large diameter thin wall conduit is quite strong.

Are guys ok?  Thin wall conduit, 2 or 3" would go up 30-40 feet with
lightweight guys.