[TowerTalk] First Tower

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] First Tower
From: Edwin Karl <edk0kl@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 22:36:15 -0500
Larry:

You are wise to plan on paper before trying anything...

To that end, first find out what the wind speed is in your area. RS-222
is the standard for
tower load and design. if I recall. Then plan accordingly. Do not get
the idea you can guy
a free standing design to make it "stronger". You will merely add to the
compression load
on the tower and could cause a collapse.

I think most tower manufacturers can give legitimate wind load spec,
just make sure it's
the same speed as you encounter in your location. Be careful putting the
rotor on top
of the tower with a medium or smaller antenna. It strains the bearings
and could fracture
the casting that is added to the bottom of the rotor. That's what thrust
bearings are for.

Look carefully at the design of the concrete base. In my opinion, most
drawings for
"ham" towers are inadequate in most soil. Again my opinion, bigger is
better for tower
foundations. You might look at EHam reviews of manufacturers. Some are
better than others.

Often overlooked is cost of insurance. Check with your broker to see if
the "auxiliary structure" is
covered by the company.

Good Luck, We're All Counting On You ...!"

ed K0KL