Re: [TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax, conduit and toroids
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:08:12 -0700
On 6/27/2012 6:02 AM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
> Ah, the joys of southern California...
>
> In this climate, outdoor connectors are something to be used only when
> absolutely essential.

The annual rainfall in my Northern California redwood forest averages 70
inches, all of it between October and June. I have LOTS of outdoor
connectors, but we learn how to weatherproof them.

I agree with Jim Lux -- simply connectorize at the tower base.

Another point.  My bifilar choke designs (which are simply a short
length of parallel wire line wound around a single #31 toroid) will
handle full legal ham power levels if the common mode voltage is
reasonably low -- that is, if the system is reasonably close to balance
-- and they are excellent chokes.  I developed these designs
specifically to minimize the cost of the choke for places where it was
expensive to buy the cores, and was based on your experience in the UK.
Power handling can also be increased by using two or more chokes in
series, as we are talking about here -- one at the top and one at the
bottom.

73, Jim K9YC