[TowerTalk] G5RV or W5GI antenna which is better? Hmmmmm

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G5RV or W5GI antenna which is better? Hmmmmm
From: simon@knaap.co.id (Simon Martin)
Date: Mon Aug 11 01:05:17 2003
There have been a couple of articles in CQ magazine about this antenna
recently.

Does anybody understand how the quarter wave sections of RG8 work ? Does it
load up the length of the antenna to give it closer resonance to a half
wave on 80 meters. Does it work any better than a G5RV on 20 meters ?

I am currently making one and will have it up next week - unfortunately do
not have any accurate method of comparison so no wild claims from me later
on !

Over the weekend I heard W5GI on 20 meters out here in Indonesia, 5/8 +
with the linear - still readable when he switched to 100W as a test - he
was using the aforementioned antenna.

Simon
M0GOT