[TowerTalk] Yaesu "K" factor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu "K" factor
From: franknorton@home.com (Frank Norton)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:36:54 -0400
Roger,

I did not over engineer!  I posed a question, how I solved my installation
is not the issue.  The point is that a mast can and often does weigh up to
or over 100 lbs,  should someone buy a G1000 or not?  Yaesu contradicts
themselves; in sales literature they say yes, in installation manual they
say no.  A paradox that I did not create, I am simply bringing it to light.

Most principles of engineering would say that the mast is centered over the
rotor it is vertical load.  Further that it contributes to torque only in
the length of the mast as wind surface.  I personally feel that Yaesu
should clarify which of their publications is the one they define as the
correct method to determine "K".

Thanks for your thoughts Rog.

73,

Frank, kb8xu

At 07:45 AM 7/11/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>If your calculations are so close to the limitations of the G1000DXA
>without the
>inclusion of the mast, and the mast weight pushes any safety margin over the
>limitations for this rotor, you should have used a larger rotator,
>especially if
>you
>are uncomfortable now! Its never good practice to "engineer" mechanical things
>to near their absolute limits. When doing so, short life and failures are
>inevitable!
>-=Rog-K9RB=-

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us