[Towertalk] Teflon sources

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Teflon sources
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:02:27 -0500
The proper material to use for mast/tower bearings is UHMW polyethylene
Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene is used for all kinds of
bearings.   The white version appears similar to Teflon although not
as slick.  And it doesn't cold flow like Teflon.

There are gray and black versions that are UV stabilized.  But I just made
my bearing brackets in such a way that they are out of the direct sunlight
and have had no problems with the white bearings (made with 1 inch thick
UHMW) in over ten years of service with a number of large antennas.  Such
as 8 element 15 meter beams on 60 ft, 3 inch diameter, booms.  Never needs
to be lubricated and is CHEAP.  And doesn't rust of course.

The mast hole on UHMW can be "drilled" using a hole saw in a drill press.
Pretty easy going and makes for a cheap machining job.

Good Luck--John   W0UN

BTW   I would never use any material that I wasn't sure of.  And I wouldn't
use Teflon in any case.   W7RM was an early adopter of the UHMW bearings
and has had very good service over MANY years.