[TowerTalk] 4 square 160m 80 ideas wanted

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 square 160m 80 ideas wanted
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (Tom Frenaye)
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 22:41:08 -0400

Kevin -

You'll find that you'll get lots of interesting advice about 160m antennas
here, most is excellent.   On the other hand, for most people a 160m antenna is
a compromise antenna because of the space and height requirements.

I have both space and height but still have a compromise solution that works
well for me - and is exactly along the lines of what I think you were asking
about.   I use a 4-sq on 160m and a second one on 80m.   Both are built around
towers.  The 80m version is around 132' Rohn 25 with 4 20m beams on it.  The
160m version is around a 120' Rohn 45 tower with TH6, three 2L 40m, and three
5L10m Yagis on it.    The 80m version uses 1/4 wave wires suspended by ropes,
the 160m version uses a sloping "T" (90' vertical, 35' bisected top wite)
suspended by ropes.   The both used to have raised radials.  Finally got enough
wire to change the 80m version so it has 30 radials per vertical.  Need lots of
wire to do the same on 160m for that extra bit of performance.

W1WEF and I wrote an article for the NCJ about our wire 4-sq antennas in
Nov/Dec 96.   The article (and several others) is posted on the YCCC web site
in PDF and HTML formats at:

                        http://www.yccc.org/Features/index.htm

Would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

                        73 Tom

-----