[TowerTalk] Hex Beam....was: Summary: Short Tower andClose Foundation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hex Beam....was: Summary: Short Tower andClose Foundation
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 17:41:13 -0500
Dan,

Today we had an ice storm in good old New England.

My 40 meter Hex beam in its usual shape used to look like an inverted
umbrella facing upwards.

Now it's a mass of wires and fiberglass poles facing downwards (like the
umbrella that got caught in a gust of wind!) and shorting out my Hygain TH-11.

Too bad I can't send pictures via the InterNet yet. You wouldn't believe
the mess!

Seems like the hex beam has the same problems that prevent us from using
QUADS up here in New England. The tribander looks OK but the VSWR is now
rather high from the wires shorting it out! Lets' hope it warms up. Looks
like I'll have to make one of those "freezing your butt off" trips up the
tower and remove the umbrella!

73,

Joe, W1JR