Fw: [Towertalk] Newbie Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [Towertalk] Newbie Question
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:29:18 -0400
Gene,

Whose ears must be good? Surely not the QRP station. In fact, if the DX
station is weak, the QRP station will more than likely not get through. QRP
requires a reasonable antenna system with lots of patience and good
operating ability.

Last August I decided to do some QRP work on all bands from 160-6 meters
with my newly acquired Yaesu FT-817 which puts out only 4.0 Watts maximum
(or less on 6-meters) . No nets or lists. No working them with high power
and then asking for them to listen for my QRP.

In less than a year, I have worked DXCC 278 (almost 200 already confirmed)
with over 240 on cw and slightly more on ssb. Also DXCC worked on 40 thru
10 meters with 185 or more on all bands from 20-10 meters and over 200 on
20, 15 and 10 meters. Also, 72 on 6-meters. This is all with dipoles and a
5 band (TH-11) Yagi at 70 feet. I have only missed a few using QRP. It just
takes more time hi.

QRP shows what can really be accomplished. A KW helps but isn't always
necessary (still trying to work P5 on QRP hi). This winter I hope to
improve on my 80 and 160 meter total. Should be a real challenge.

73 and happy DXing.

Joe, W1JR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>