[Towertalk] 40-2CD LOADING COIL MOD.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40-2CD LOADING COIL MOD.
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 19:56:29 -0400
Stew,

If you study the 40-2CD loading coils (and the Cushcraft traps) carefully,
you will find that they are only water resistant on the coils side with the
wire being covered with heat shrink.

Unfortunately, the ends of the coil are not sealed. Therefore, water which
will eventually get inside the tubing elements (especially at the feed
point), will invariably flow down the inside of the tubing and eventually
inside the coil as it heads for the tip of the element (where it may freeze
and burst the element in cold climates!).

As a result, the water does flow inside and will wick up the screws of the
eventually rust!

73,

Joe, W1JR