time from cell phone was Re: [TowerTalk] Magnetic North Info & Map

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: time from cell phone was Re: [TowerTalk] Magnetic North Info & Map
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Wed Feb 12 12:58:13 2003
Indeed, while the various TDMA cell phone systems use GPS clocks for sync
(such as the Z3801s you see available surplus), I don't know that the
average phone actually gets a time message.  Certainly, my cell phone, a
Cingular GSM from Motorola, does NOT get time messages, because the time
displayed drifts substantially over a month.  There might be some option to
make the displayed time match the "system time", but I haven't found it in
the menus.

Given the large drift, I assume that the timekeeping function in the phone
is run from the usual 32 kHz crystal. After all, it has to still "keep
time", even when there is no cell site in view (like in the screen room at
work).

I think that the cell site/handset timing is all controlled by the cell
site (which would make the handset cheaper), and they need to sync cell
sites with each other to make it work properly.