[TowerTalk] how vertical is vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] how vertical is vertical
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Tue Mar 4 19:16:19 2003
I'd be interested to know the basis of the "verticality" requirement... 1
part in 100 (about 1/2 degree) wouldn't appreciably change the loads at the
base (1% using the "small angle approximation"), and hopefully the design
isn't cutting it that close. (Assuming the guys are a reasonable distance
away from the tower.. all bets are off if the guy anchor is 10 feet from
the base of the tower...)

There's a "do the job right" aspect, of course, and the advice to set it up
now for inevitable adjustment later is certainly sound.

For a contractual document (i.e. you're hiring someone to put up a tower)
you need to provide "testable requirement".  If standard industry practice
is that it's easy to get it vertical to 1 part in 400, then there's no
problem imposing that as a requirement.

However, if you're doing the work yourself, you're not necessarily
concerned about whether it meets some arbitrary standard, but more, whether
it's safe, and the "safe" requirement might be substantially looser than
the "pretty and good commercial practice" requirement.

Jim, W6RMK