Re: [TowerTalk] ROOF MOUNT TOWERS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ROOF MOUNT TOWERS
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:00:10 -0500
I live in the city (Washington, DC) and have a 6 footer on my roof supporting a Force 12 C3-SS quite easily. I can email you pictures, if you like.

It isn't guyed, and was relatively easy to put up (although my roof is steep and the the wx here is windy/cool or stifling hot!). Been up for almost 10 years.

Foot-by-foot roof towers aren't cheap, but considering that I can't put up a tower, it's a great solution.

There used to be lots of variations in roof towers -- although today you have but two choices here in the USA (Glen Martin Engineering and IIX).
Mine is Japanese -- made by Alinco. I've had/used Create Design (Japanese) for work projects, and have another Japanese one in my garage. All are 9 foot or smaller "quadpods" that don't need guying. The one I have in the garage is amost 12 ft tall and looks like a quadpod with a tower section mounted on top. It needs to be guyed, but then again, it's very beefy.

Email me if you have any questions or pictures.

73, Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:44:12 EST
From: K7LXC@aol.com
To: davarc@premier1.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Message: 2

In a message dated 1/22/04 1:53:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
davarc@premier1.net writes:

> Can any body tell me anything about roof mounted towers?? Iam think of
> getting me one Iam going to put a beam on it and would like to know more
> informaton how good are they.

They're a pretty nifty and relatively inexpensive way to get some beams up.

> Do they require any guying??

They're freestanding.

> and with the beam mounted over the roof would that affect it any

A bunch of beam performance is related to height. A roof mounted antenna
at 30 feet won't be as good as the same beam up 70 feet. Or a hundred feet.
OTOH you can work a lot of stuff and have a lot of fun with a modest
installation like this.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:59:05 -0800
From: "Dave Hough, W7GK" <w7gk@qsl.net>
To: "Dave A" <davarc@premier1.net>
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com
Message: 3

Used 30' of Universal aluminum tower sections on the roof of my Las =
Vegas house and had a Cushcraft X7 on it. http://www.qsl.net/w7gk/=20

Worked great. Built a saddle out of 4"x 6" planks to set on the roof =
peak then braced the roof to distribute the load onto the interior =
framing. On top of the saddle put a Universal flatroof mount and guyed =
the tower. That set up was hit by high winds and many dust devils and =
never flinched.=20

Dave, W7GK
Elko, NV