Re: [TowerTalk] ferrite beads was...Re: [RFI] HIGH POWER and RFI...

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,"TOWERTALK@contesting.com" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ferrite beads was...Re: [RFI] HIGH POWER and RFI...
From: Chuck Sudds <chuck@dxham.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:41:03 -0600
At 08:03 AM 3/9/2007 -0800, Jim Brown wrote:

Jim

I too have experienced my Wi-Fi receiver shutting down because of RECEIVED
RFI.  I have my Wi-Fi dish mounted on the same tower as my ham
antennas.  The Wi-Fi dish and receiver and connected via CAT5 cable to my
home/business some 200ft away.  My coax for my HF and VHF antennas run
right by the Wi-Fi receiver & dish but are about 75ft above that equipment.

What's funny is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason
for predicting just when the interference will occur.  Sometimes it happens
when I am on 6 meters running 1200 watts and sometimes if happens when I am
on 30 meters running 100 watts, but not always in any case.  Doesn't seem
to matter where my beams are pointed either.

I have thought about encasing the Wi-Fi receiver in a metal box or
shielding it in some manner and using torrids on the CAT5
cable?!?!?!!?  Anyway, all I have to do to get it back up and working is to
power it down and it will come up a-ok. but it's a real hassle when my wife
is trying to run her business on her computer and I am trying to ham <G>!

Chuck KØTVD