[Towertalk] More on tree antenna mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More on tree antenna mounts
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 12:25:16 -0500
Peter--yes this is a compromise--but as long as the
cross pipe is significantly shorter than the driven
element and the spacing is on the order of a few feet
a meter or so (and the tree-to-tree support is a non-conductive
rope--or at least non-resonant and separated by a couple
of meters) it will probably work.  And may make operation
possible where otherwise it might not be.

I have done a lot of modeling of antennas--typically
looking at short conductors in the plane of the elements
to add side-guys to a boom.  And as long as these
supports are far from resonance their effect on tuning
is due to capacitive coupling to the nearby element and a
spacing of a meter or so drops this effect down to a very
minimum.

BTW   I am not supporting or defending the idea--only trying
to demonstrate that you don't have to turn the rotator upside
down for this to work.

John   W0UN