[Towertalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ground Rods
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 10:22:38 -0400
At 09:44 AM 8/2/02 -0400, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>     The trick is connecting the wire to the rod. There are only 2 methods
>that are approved by the NEC; compression and exothermic (i.e. CadWeld, etc.).
>
>     Grounding the tower is only a PART of the system - you still need to
> deal
>with cables down the tower and the all-important building entry

It's intriguing to me that those hardware store compression clamps that use
a hex head bolt pressing against the inside of a ring-shaped bronze casting
are code-approved for ground wire to ground rod connections.  You'd think
that such connections would be very prone to corrosion and breakdown.  I've
even got some of those here that state on the package that they are OK for
buried ground connections.

The contrast between that and a cad-welded connection could scarcely be
greater.  Maybe one of the practicing or retired electricians who frequents
this list could elaborate on why the compression method is considered OK.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org