[Towertalk] Lightning strike detection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lightning strike detection
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:09:28 -0400
At 11:54 AM 9/21/02 -0500, Kelly Taylor wrote:
>If I remember correctly, the detector in QST was only for the detection of
>oncoming lightning activity.
>
>It seems that the original post was for something that would detect if the
>electrical infrastructure of a station had taken a strike.
>
>I think this is what the Polyphaser product does, but it's been a while
>since I checked the catalog.

Rereading it, I think you're right.  I wonder, though, how useful such a
thing would be at registering induced voltages from nearby, indirect
"hits."  If it entered via the antenna system, that might be one thing, but
there are so many other conductors....

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower