[TowerTalk] Tic Ring

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tic Ring
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Mon Jun 2 11:07:30 2003
Jim,

I've had experience with two Tic Ring rotors. My own is a Model 1022 of 1993
vintage that was unused when I purchased it a year ago and installed on Rohn
45. It worked fine first time and ever since, rotating a HyGain Explorer
40-meter 3-el. linear-loaded yagi (32-foot boom or so).

The other was a larger model -- 1032 I think -- on some Rohn 65 at W3PP. That
one was purchased new 3 or 4 years ago and installed by myself and several
others (in stages) and turns a big 20-meter 5-el., 46-ft. boom yagi. There were
lots of problems with that one, not turning completely, or not turning, or
indicator going out of calibration. Finally after a year or so of frustration
it was partially disassembled and reassembled and re-aligned on the tower,
which solved most of the problems I think.

Bottom line is these are very labor intensive installations. I did mine solo
but the larger one took 3 climbers. These are not as simple as installing a
Tailtwister. The manual is not the best, the photos where photocopied images
that were not clear and not complete (maybe they have fixed this in more recent
models). Assembling on the ground FIRST by the installers who also will be
putting it on the tower is imperative.

73/Jon AA1K