[TowerTalk] static drainage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] static drainage
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon Jan 27 07:59:37 2003
I am about to replace the Heathkit antenna switch I've used for the last 5
years with a TopTen 6-way relay box, to give me more options.

My question is -- is it worthwhile to install 1.5 megohm resistors inside
the relay boxes across each antenna jack, as is done in the Heathkit
switch, presumably to drain static electricity?  I've read here fairly
recently of bad effects from switching to an antenna that hasn't been used
for a while, and getting a jolt of static electricity on your receiver
front end or other sensitive components.  What's the consensus -- is it
real, or...?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database has just been updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm