[TowerTalk] Effect of feedline on apparent resonance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Effect of feedline on apparent resonance
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun Mar 9 11:42:18 2003
Recently, I set about replacing the feedlines on my K3LR-type 80m
array.  Each feeder in the original design is 87 feet of RG-8X.  I ordered
and received some heavy-duty "RG-8X type" coax and made up the replacement
feedlines.  When I replaced the original feedlines on two of the dipoles
that make up the array, I was surprised to see the apparent resonant
frequency of each of them jump upward ~100 kHz.

Looking into the matter, I discovered that the "RG-8 type" coax has a
velocity factor of .72, while that of Belden RG-8X is .8.  This suggests to
me that since the dipoles are somewhat mismatched to the coax, and the
different velocity factor yields a different electrical length than before,
this is transforming the load impedance differently and making the
resonance appear to have shifted.

Am I on the right track?

If I cut the new coax to the same electrical length as before (.72/.8 x 87
feet) should I see the apparent resonant frequency return more or less to
what it was before?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm