[TowerTalk] KFI Transmitter Tour 2003!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KFI Transmitter Tour 2003!
From: k6rix@arrl.net (Dino Darling)
Date: Thu Aug 7 13:25:10 2003
(I'm sending this message to the tower talk group just in case there is
anyone in Southern CA who would like to attend...)

Hello!  My name is Dino and I'm the President of the Western Amateur Radio
Association.  This is an open invitation to the following clubs and their
friends.  Please let your club know!  RSVP info is at the end of this e-mail!

Anaheim Amateur Radio Association
Autonetics Amateur Radio Club
Catalina Amateur Radio Association
Clairemont Repeater Association
Downey Amateur Radio Club
Fullerton Radio Club
Orange County Amateur Radio Club
Pasadena Amateur Radio Club
Rio Hondo Amateur Radio Club
Southern CA DX Club
West Coast Amateur Radio Club
Western Amateur Radio Association

The Western Amateur Radio Association is hosting a tour of the KFI
Transmitter Facility in La Mirada, CA on August 30th, 2003.

You have been officially invited to participate on this rare tour.  I must
point out that this tour is LIMITED to the first 75 people who purchase a
ticket!  Here are the details...

When:           August 30th, 2003; 10:00AM to 1:00PM

Where:  KFI Transmitter Facility
                 16608 Trojan Way
                 La Mirada, CA  90638

Talk In:        145.400- (pl 103.5)

Parking:        Park in the Viking Parking lot anywhere
                 around the base of the 250' tower.  There
                 are 74 spaces and I'll be directing traffic.

Capacity:       75 Guests (3 groups of 25)

Lunch:  Blake's Place BBQ, Anaheim, CA
                 Chopped Beef Brisket Sandwiches
                 Baked Beans
                 Potato Salad
                 Water and Soda

Raffle:         Yaesu VX-7 (6 meter, 2 meter, 220, and 440)

Cost:           $20.00/person (incudes tour, lunch, raffle)

Tour Guides:    3 (one per group)

Group 1:        Transmitters (Harris and Continental); 50KW terminator;
                 6" hardline; switch box, generators and power distribution

Group 2:        Base/tuner of main 750' tower

Group 3:        Main Guy Wire Enclosure and Base of 250' aux tower

What to bring:  A chair to sit in for lunch!
                 Drinking water for the tour; we will be outside most of
the time.
                 Sunscreen/Hat!
                 Camera!

Everyone shows up around 10:00am.  After a safety meeting, tours start at
10:30.  We rotate every 30 minutes.  Lunch is at 12:00 noon.  We get to
eat, hang out and talk, ask questions, and walk through the transmitter
building until 12:45.  At 12:50 we have the raffle and kick everyone out at
1:00PM.

Blake's Place in Anaheim will prepare the food and I'll have Jackie (my
wife) deliver it to the site.  We will be serving the guests and there
should be enough for seconds (or thirds).

RSVP Info:
         Please send your check AND a SASE to,

         Bob Harrington, AA6PW
         6782 Vanguard Ave.
         Garden Grove, CA  92645
         bharring7@aol.com
         http://www.qrz.com/callsign/AA6PW

Please include your callsign and e-mail address with your check so I can
keep everyone who is going up to date!

IMPORTANT!!!
         KFI was scheduled to re-guy the tower THIS WEEK!  One of the
suppliers is behind schedule and has yet to deliver the new
"preforms".  This has delayed the guy wire swap out!  As of August 7th,
2003 it is UNLCEAR when the supplier will deliver the products.  The only
thing at this point that could delay this tour is if the contractor will be
working on the tower on August 30th.  If this does happen, we will have to
reschedule.  I was informed to move ahead with our plans and pray that they
either get it done BEFORE August 30th, or not until September.  When I
originally began planning this event, the supplier and contractor were on
time for this week....and so it goes!  We will certainly be able to
re-schedule and give refunds to those who may not be able to attend.

With this being said, I would not hesitate to get a ticket as I expect this
to sell out pretty fast!  So far, it looks good for the 30th!

Also, don't forget that HAMCON is the next weekend!!!!  http://www.hamcon.org

Dino...k6rix@arrl.net