[TowerTalk] Re: Rebar cage for tower footing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Rebar cage for tower footing
From: na6t@na6t.com (Bob Smith)
Date: Sun Aug 10 18:14:49 2003
Hi Bob,

Boy did you open up a can of worms and FLAMES.......

The general opinion is to support the rebar cage in the hole with the bottom
of the cage OUT of the dirt.  IE: cross braces at the top of the hole holding
up the cage, then pour the concrete in the hole.

The Rebar has a chance to rust away when it's in the bottom of the hole
touching the dirt (I think there is something in the UBC about the rebar not
being in the soil,, i think,, not sure)

But anyway, stand by for the flames from the 'one's in the know",,

Bob
Bob Smith
Robert Smith Consulting
"Wireless Installations -- Businesses & ISP's"
F.C.C. Licensed-Commerical & Amateur Services
A.R.S NA6T
ARRL Life Member
1-707-964-4931 w/answering machine
Fort Bragg, California   95437

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Message: 7

I've noted the UST footing design for most/all their towers, and they specify a
rebar cage with the vertical pieces set approximately 3" above the bottom
of the
footing.  This is obviously a clumsy undertaking in the real world, because it
would entail pouring 3" of concrete in the hole, let it set up, insert the cage
and continue the pour.  After 30 years in the construction business, I've
seen a
few footings poured, and many were designed by engineers who never had to
actually install their designs, such as spread footings which are extremely
labor intensive, and for no reason.  To make a long question short, any civil
engineers out there who see a problem with the rebar cage sitting on the dirt
floor of the hole and pouring around it?

Regards,
Bob KG7KW