[TowerTalk] Rohn 65 GSR-custom, solid-leg tower sections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 65 GSR-custom, solid-leg tower sections
From: Jim Breakall <jimb@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:26:48 -0500
Dear Towertalk users:

I hope this is OK to mention this on the reflector. I have 290 feet of Rohn 65 GSR tower, which is similar to what we use at the K3CR
contest superstation here at Penn State. The tower sections are very heavy duty and have never been used. At K3CR, made three 200 foot
towers out of 2 of them that we got from Voice of America and the Air Force originally. They are from a project called GWEN that was
downsized and 20 of these towers were available at the time with all the hardware, never used. I was able to manage picking up
3 towers and this is 1 that I never used. This is probably a once in a lifetime type of thing to find this kind of tower never used and I wanted
to make sure those on this reflector are aware of it. I wanted to alert you all sooner but I was tied up at my other contest station in Puerto
Rico, WP3R, getting things ready for SS CW and also a 40 year celebration at the Arecibo Observatory.

Thanks and hope somebody out there can make use of these tower sections. I wish I could use them here or in Puerto Rico, but
I have more than enough towers and hardware to keep maintained already!!!!!

73 Jim WA3FET

Here is the writeup from Ebay and the link to photos, etc.

You are bidding on 14 sections, plus one base section, of Rohn #65 solid-leg galvanized steel tower. These tower sections are government surplus and have been in outdoor storage on wooden skids for seven years. Each of the 14 sections is 20 feet long and has a climbing ladder built into one face. The base section is 10 feet long and is tapered to a single foot pad. All sections are in excellent condition. Each section is equipped with cable mounting brackets that extend from each leg as depicted in the accompanying photographs. These tower sections are being sold strictly as is.The winning bidder must pick up the tower sections in central Pennsylvania and must provide their own truck, crane, and proof of insurance. Before commencing the work the contractor and any subcontractor shall purchase and maintain at its own expense until final completion and acceptance of the work, the following minimum insurance: 1. Workers' Compensation for statutory obligations imposed by workers compensation or occupational disease laws. Employers' Liability insurance shall be provided with a minimum limit of $100,000. 2. Comprehensive Automobile Liability insurance with the following minimum limits of liability: Bodily Injury Liability and Property Damage Liability $300,000 Combined Single Limit. 3. General Liability Insurance. Such policies shall include coverage for premises and operations, for all operations required to complete the Work, including, if applicable, coverage for damage caused by explosion with the following minimum limits of liability: Bodily Injury Liability and Property Damage Liability $500,000 Combined Single Limit. Certificates of Insurance acceptable to the owner shall be filed with the owner prior to commencement of the Work. These Certificates and the insurance policies required by this paragraph shall contain a provision that coverages afforded under the policies will not be cancelled or allowed to expire until at least 30 days prior written notice has been given to the owner. Contact Ellwood Brem, 814-865-0950, with questions.

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3057530057&category=4672>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3057530057&category=4672

Prof. Jim Breakall Department of Electrical Engineering Penn State University 225 EE East University Park, PA 16802

Tel: 814-865-2228 (Office)
814-865-6339 (224 EE East Lab)
814-692-7779 (Antenna Test Range)
814-863-8457 (FAX)