[TowerTalk] Really elementary question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Really elementary question
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:47:42 -0500
Somehow in my 49 years as a ham I've managed to avoid practical experience with phased arrays, but now I'm working on an array of K9AY loops for 160m receiving, and realize that I lack an essential piece of information. A cruise through the antenna Book hasn't helped.

The question is this -- when a two-element array is specified as having one element 90 degrees from the other -- in modeling terms, antenna A's phase is zero and antenna B's is 90 -- does this mean that you feed antenna A and then connect from there to B through 90 degrees of coax (1/4 WL x velocity factor) or is it the other way around? What about 0 and -90? If the two antennas are supposed to be 180 out of phase can you connect them in either sequence, as long as the line between them is an electrical half-wave? I'd think "yes" but I've grown wary of my intuition on such things.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 29.
2469 stations are listed -- 29 new and over 100 updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm