RE: [TowerTalk] noise flow analysis?

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>,"'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] noise flow analysis?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:35:04 -0800
At 05:22 PM 1/9/2004 +0000, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
Amazing what you can find on google:

"Noise flow" references:
http://www.eedesign.com/story/OEG19991109S0038

That one is about analyzing noise and timing jitter in VLSI designs. Not applicable to BPL type analyses

http://www.sm.go.dlr.de/sm-sk_info/library/documents/EGSciVis95/oil-7.ht
ml

That one is about comparing the "spot noise" technique to using oil films for airflow visualization in a wind tunnel. I have no idea what the spot noise technique is, although I am familiar with the oil film approach. Not even vaguely connected to BPL

http://www.wtec.org/loyola/subseafe/c2_poi.htm

Oceanography? Acoustics again. By the way, analyzing the nonuniformities in the noise field is a good way to detect things trying to hide, without using active sonar.

http://signalintegrity.com/Pubs%5Cnews%5C1_6.htm

About bypass capacitors, and filtering noise on PCBs... No BPL relevance there (except perhaps for making sure the customer premises equipment meets Part 15?)

http://www.ece.rochester.edu/~friedman/presentations/msicdvgs_pdf/msicdp
art1.pdf

"Substrate Coupling and INterconnect Noise in Mixed-signal and High Speed Digital ICs"
Seems more like the first reference..

noise-flow diagrams:
http://www.engr.udayton.edu/ENtech/comp/courses/ECT454.htm

This one is about acoustic noise...and identifying paths for acoustic noise flow. Probably not totally applicable to RF noise which has a different propagation method.

> >Somebody help me out here. I've worked with obscure technologies
> >for 30 years or so...what's 'noise flow'?

So, nothing even remotely relevant to doing a "noise flow" analysis for BPL.

Here's my guess:

He meant to say: "Noise Floor", which would make sense.