Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Rod Lenght

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"James" <jameswarren@swbell.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Rod Lenght
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:16:48 -0500
At 10:30 AM 2/15/04 -0800, Jim Lux wrote:

You won't find the NEC online; it's copyrighted, and the publisher, NFPA,
which goes to some expense to create the code, would prefer to be paid for
their labors.  If you're in a business subject to "the code", it's probably
worthwhile to spend the $50 and get a copy, especially if questions like
this come up very often, or if you operate in a litigious environment.

Jim makes a good point, which this manager should be sensitive to, concerning liability that might arise from the facilities you're installing. By all means, the Book ought to be on hand.

In the meantime, I took a look at my copy of Wiring Simplified, 38th Edition, by H.P. Richter and W.C. Schwan, Published by Park Publishing company, ISBN 0-9603294-6-3, which states that it is based on the latest (1996) wiring code. I presume that if there's a new edition of the NEC by now, there must also be a 39th edition of this book. I got it at Lowe's.

Page 69 appears to lift directly from the NEC, and says that an adequate ground may be a variety of things (UFER, existing piping, etc.), but if it is a ground rod, it must be "an 8-ft. driven 1/2" copper or 5/8" steel rod or 3/4" galvanized steel pipe." Seems pretty clear.

73, Pete N4ZR Check out the World HF Contest Station Database Updated 9 Jan 04 www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm