Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR 6m

To: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR 6m
From: Bill Aycock <baycock@hughes.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:15:44 -0500
Jim- 6M is called "the Magic band" because almost anything can happen.  A
high gain antenna is nice, but I think you can miss a lot by having too
much directivity.  There is a lot of action that you may miss with a tight
beam. If you do use one, it is a good idea to also have a broad antenna to
search with.
There are a couple of guys to my south that have fits on the local informal
net, because they put up 6 and 8EL beams. If they aim at net control, they
miss everyone else. On the other hand- I have picked up Argentina on my 3EL
El-Cheapo, MFJ, aimed generally S-SE.
YMMV-- HI
Bill-W4BSG

At 06:09 PM 9/6/2006 -0400, Jim Jarvis wrote:

>Thanks, all for comments on this topic.
>
>I didn't buy the passive 6m element, because it constrained
>the 180 degree flip mode on that band, and because I felt
>the spacing was too far from optimal.
>
>Still, I would like something on 6 for next Spring's season.
>
>Anybody have a recommendation for maybe a 6 el 6m, to be
>installed at 35' or so??  Never really done 6, and want to explore
>it more seriously.  TIA.
>
>N2EA/Jim

Bill Aycock - W4BSG
Woodville, Alabama