Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas questions...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas questions...
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:48:57 -0400
On 8/23/2012 8:13 PM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>> I have some questions about the real performance of the  tribander
> antennas.
>
>      For many years the only way to compare tribanders  was to look at the
> manufacturer's claims. Guess what? They're mostly WRONG. And  in some cases,
> wildly optimistic.
>
>      If you want real performance, N0AX and myself  tested a bunch of
> tribanders ON THE AIR, compared their performance and  published the results.
> You
> can get a copy from www.championradio.com. It's  several years old now but
> has all of the major antennas at the time.
>
>      A major finding? The PRO series of Mosley antennas  "under performed
> the competition" and in one case, had negative gain on one  band. I'd stay
> away from them.

I think it was the big pro 57? that had some real problems.  That was
one big tribander that showed a lot of potential, and provided a lot of
problems. OTOH I've head some people who say they had good results with
them.  Good performance that was real of imagined? I don't know. One
about 4 miles from me displayed the problems.  I think he sold it.

73

Roger (K8RI)