[TowerTalk] Winch needed

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Winch needed
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:48:19 -0400
I'm looking for a powered winch that runs off 110, that is relatvely easy to move from tower to tower, can be left out in the elements, will take up to several hundred feet of 1/4" steel cable or 7/16ths double braided poly rope.

I like the winches that go on the front of pick up trucks and SUVs except for the weight and 12 VDC operation.

Most of the 110VAC powered winches are meant to be a permanent part of the installation and use multiple belts. I do not want to use a simple V-belt reduction unit. It needs to be reversible and hold up to 500# safely, yet be something a guy with a bad back can handle.

I have several hand cranked winches that are capable of doing what I want, EXCEPT I do not want to be underneath what I am cranking up. Nor do I want to have to build a remote mount for each installation. Hence the remote operated, electric powered requirement.

There are enough ways to get hurt seriously when working on towers without standing under what's going up.

73

Roger (K8RI)