Re: [TowerTalk] Winch needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Winch needed
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 20:05:53 -0700
On 9/29/12 7:48 PM, K8RI wrote:
I'm looking for a powered winch that runs off 110, that is relatvely
easy to move from tower to tower, can be left out in the elements, will
take up to several hundred feet of 1/4" steel cable or 7/16ths double
braided poly rope.

I like the winches that go on the front of pick up trucks and SUVs
except for the weight and 12 VDC operation.

Most of the 110VAC powered winches are meant to be a permanent part of
the installation and use multiple belts. I do not want to use a simple
V-belt reduction unit. It needs to be reversible and hold up to 500#
safely, yet be something a guy with a bad back can handle.

When I did rigging, we used a lot of those inexpensive 110V hoist type winches.. I wouldn't stand under one.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#electric-winches/=jidyj9  at the top of the page.

For something you can stand under, the "chain motor" is the tool of choice.