Re: [TowerTalk] 43 feet pole for vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43 feet pole for vertical
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 20:11:04 -0400
On 11/1/2012 6:02 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
Kelly Taylor wrote:

The model I seem to recall, either by K9YC or W8JI, involved the feedline
running to the base of the tower to a choke and then up the tower to
another
choke at the feedpoint.

And after all that, the elevation pattern would be considerably
inferior to a dipole, as documented in the ARRL Antenna Handbook
in a graph illustrating the pseudo Brewster angle effects for
horizontal vs vertical polarization.  There is a reason why
you rarely see vertically polarized antennas on a tower, unless
ground wave propagation is involved.

In actual use, I've mounted a multi-band 40-6 meters (AV640) and some years ago a 1/4 wave on 40 on top of 40 foot towers. This is only two instances but about half the time the vertical out did the sloping dipole and half the time the dipole won.

In the case of the 1/4 wave I only had 4 radials that also served as guys at the top of the tower. They drooped at about 45 degrees. I used a current balun at the base of the vertical. In both cases the coax was taped to the tower with no choke at the base.

The AV640 appeared to work better on a 32' tower rather than the 40 footer. That's very close to a 1/4 wave on 40. I did not have two of them up at once so I couldn't do an A/B comparison as I could with the vertical and dipole.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Rick N6RK