Re: [TowerTalk] Where to find Surplus wire for ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Where to find Surplus wire for ground
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:03:40 -0800
On 11/13/12 5:12 AM, Rick Scott wrote:
Local ARRL RFI rep says I need 2AWG minimum 1/0 would be better but it seems
awful big.

For RFI?

that makes no sense from a physics standpoint. If you're looking for low AC resistance, then invest your money in strap. If you're looking for low inductance, diameter or size has a very small effect.

  Im running a ground from the Rig, Tuner etc to ground.

You need to read Jim K9YC's writeup on RFI and grounding.. http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

 Grounding *rarely* solves RFI problems

The reason to provide a ground path from your rig is for safety, not for RF. And realistically, the greenwire ground in the AC outlet is probably good enough for that.

If you have a common panel for your external wiring (coax, rotator, etc.) then a nice wire from there to the electrical ground is useful, but then, you should bond the rig to that common point (at that panel with the coax, etc.).

I had not done that yet when I moved the shack due to the non access of an outside opening.

Im going in a wall hole where my Coax comes in, down to the crawl area and ground it there.