Re: [TowerTalk] Safety harness/belts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Safety harness/belts
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 14:26:38 -0800
On 11/18/12 1:32 PM, John E. Cleeve wrote:
Gentlemen,

If you are interested, there is a film, available on the Crystal Palace
web site, which shows how the 800ft London BBC Television tower at Crystal
Palace, SE London, was designed, and then built and erected, using muscle
and ropes, no safety lines are visible, well worth watching.

I would like to see how a tower, like the one in the video is erected,
from the ground up, my question being, to what did the riggers attach
their safety harness? Does anyone know of an accessible video/film?

wouldn't it be like being leader on a rock climb. You have protection slightly below you, so your maximum distance of fall is 2x height above protection. You depend on the springyness of the belay rope, and the worst case is a fall factor of 2: the fall distance is 2x the total rope length.

the fear when climbing rocks is the "zipper" out problem.. you fall, the first pro catches, then pops, then the next, then the next, until you either hit the end of the rope or the ground (or hopefully, bushes and trees at the bottom of the pitch)

Your boldness when leading largely determines how often you put protection in. And when there's a dicey move, you ask your belayer to take out the slack.