Re: [TowerTalk] How to deal with Coax on a Crankup Tower

To: 'Larry Loen' <lwloen@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to deal with Coax on a Crankup Tower
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 08:58:14 -0800
Chris, KF7P makes arms with free sliding loops and also with hoops that the coax is tied to.

see http://www.kf7p.com/KF7P/CoaxArms.html

The hoop design keeps the coax from kinking, keeps it on the tower, although enough slack is needed to still have an "upward" exit loop for when the tower is fully extended. I'd guess about 5' more coax is needed for every hoop vs loop standoff, if that loss is a concern.

My cable bundle per tower (2x HDX589) was 3 x 9913F7 or Buryflex (much better stuff than 9913) plus rotator plus ethernet plus a 4 conductor control cable for tower mounted gadgets. The hoop design worked fine on one tower, but it wasn't easy for me to get the loops the right length between hoops. On the other tower, they just wouldn't work - kept getting snagged going up. Bundled cables seem to get a mind of their own about twist and residual bends. Mine were carefully pulled without any twist, then 3M taped every 18" or so. One tower's bundle was well behaved on the hoops, the other wasn't. One of the rotator cables was noticeably stiffer and with different coax that made the difference, I think. Another risk with hoops might be trying to lower the tower when the wind is blowing the coax around and it snags.

Steve K7LXC took one look at the hoops and said "that's not going to work." Oh well, many trials with hoops had me talking to Chris and he made it right by exchanging the hoops for loops and they work great on both towers. I measured the offsets and extensions for the 589 as he had not made them for that tower in its current UST revision. Now they are a thing of beauty :-) .

Pre twisting the bundle is an interesting idea to keep it in a container. I chose to use the mariners trick to flake heavy lines into a figure 8 as the tower descends. Each half twist reverses the prior half twist. One tower's concrete base grew large enough (another story) that the coax flakes on it and the other is surrounded by grass so it's not messy. Having a clean work area around the base is a really good idea - gravel, grass, pavers, etc. It is small cost/effort considering what is otherwise invested. Of course, I need to attend 100% the tower lowering, but I wouldn't ever think of lowering these towers remotely.

Grant K71W

On 11/19/2012 7:36 AM, Dick Dievendorff wrote:
At my last installations I chose option 1), and as I lowered the tower, I
guided the coax bundle into a circle on the ground. I added an angular
support to the topmost stand-off arm so that the weight of the whole bundle
was better supported.  I had 6 RG-213 coax cables, rotator, and a control
line for 80/75 relays on a dipole.  The coax bundle was taped together about
every two feet.

I saw a really neat installation at N6EK a few years back.  Bob had a large
washtub inverted on the ground.  He had applied the right twists to the
cable so that it coiled rather naturally around the washtub all by itself
when the tower was lowered.

73 de Dick, K6KR