Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized Winch for US Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Motorized Winch for US Tower
From: Rob Santello <K6DQ@ARRL.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:15:42 -0800
Just for info, what works for me is a 24vdc wheelchair motor and controller powered from 2 12v gel cell batteries. It has tons of torque and only just gets warm. I burned out a brand new DeWalt drill (can't remember the rating) within minutes of use. My LM-354 uses a Fulton 2550 winch. I tried replacing it with a Fulton 3000 worm gear winch but as Rick points out, it over heats and then start spinning one of the worm gear bushings. I went back to the 2550. Don't know what a used wheelchair motor would cost as I got mine for free from a friend.
Rob
K6DQ