Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 02:42:02 -0500
On 11/27/2013 1:23 AM, Ray Benny wrote:
I filed a claim on a wind damaged 2 el 40m yagi years ago in Calif. Insurance paid for its replacement, however, my next years home owners insurance premium almost doubled! I dumped them and found another company that brought the premium back to what I had been paying prior.

Unless the damage is extensive and costly, say the whole tower, antenna and rotator, I will not file an insurance claim.

Over the years I've had two antenna claims. Each from different QTHs. The first was in the 70s and as it happens, I was in the business of installing TV antennas om the side..Good business until only the two and 3 story houses were left. The other was a ham antenna from here. Even the TV antenna was an expensive one. They paid including labor. Same for the Tribander just a few years back and no increase in premium. That would place them about 30 years apart. They did ask me about the first one so I explained the difference and time. However, I'd not expect that in today's climate.

I do carry a large rider on the towers and antennas.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Ray,
N6VR
Chino Valley, AZ

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net <mailto:K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>> wrote:

    On 11/26/2013 9:43 PM, Drax Felton wrote:

        I once asked my agent about this too and told it would be
        covered but then the policy was promptly and  involuntarily
        cancelled because of it.

        Incognito is now my philosophy.

    In Michigan, AFAIK most home owners policies cover that, up to 10%
    As I had the 100', 45G with the array on top, I had a rider added,
    no problem.
    Even on a farm, here we had home owners.

    73,

    Roger (K8RI)

            On Nov 26, 2013, at 3:09 PM, Wayne Willenberg
            <wewill747@gmail.com <mailto:wewill747@gmail.com>> wrote:

            Now that I have my tower nearly completed, I asked my
            homeowner's insurance
            agent if I could obtain coverage in case it is damaged.
             The simple answer
            was "no".

            Is my insurance carrier being unreasonable or is it
            generally true you
            can't get insurance coverage for a tower that is not
            attached to a house?

            Thanks for your help.

            Wayne, KK6BT