Re: [TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors
From: Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 23:58:37 -0500
On 11/17/14, 9:00 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
> On 11/17/2014 10:56 AM, Gary J - N5BAA wrote:
>
> Caution:  N-Type connectors may not be your answer.
>
> I crimp nearly all coax connectors  here as well, but went back to UHF
> connectors on all vertical runs on the tower as well as sloping dipole
> feeds..  N-type connectors have a problem and it can be a big one on
> vertical runs.  On most N type connectors the center pin is not captive.
> The weight of the coax center conductor can cause it to migrate down,
> taking the center pin with it, either creating a poor electrical
> connection, or none.  The same problem exists in center feeding half
> wave, sloping dipoles.  When the temperature is well below freezing, or
> even below zero is not the time to find out you have this problem.

What connectors are you using to crimp on LMR-400?  I've used the EZ
connectors from Times and never had this issue.

I suspect you're not using the Times branded connectors or Times brand cable.
 The heatshrink is required as well.

> The problem can be reduced with a 360 degree loop in the coax
> immediately after the connector, but not so close as to induce leverage
> into the connector.

You should NEVER loop coax on the tower.

You may want to check into how you support the cable on the tower too.  Tape
is not an approved method.

--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice