Re: [TowerTalk] Can´t add egg insulator...

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can´t add egg insulator...
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:17:55 -0500
On 12/14/2015 07:59 AM, Stan Stockton wrote:
At risk of purists saying absolutely not, if I were going to put
up just 30 feet of 25G tower and didn't have all the proper
materials to insulate the guy wires and guy it as would normally
be done, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to put two levels on
that small tower using 3/8" diameter polyester (Dacron) low
stretch rope. The antenna will blow apart first eliminating a
potential problem and rope doesn't rust.

I might be tempted to try that too, using relatively large diameter dacron. Turnbuckles will still be required to get enough tension. Keep an eye on it and be prepared to tighten up the guys often. I have a mast extending out the top of a tower that I use for wire antennas and a wi-fi dish. It is guyed with 5/16 inch dacron rope. Five years after installation I am still finding it necessary to tighten the ropes at least twice a year and check after every heavy storm. Were I to have ignored it for long, the mast would have surely failed. I keep thinking the rope will stop stretching, but it hasn't yet.

Paul