Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft 40-2CD Repair

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft 40-2CD Repair
From: Leeson <leeson@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2024 16:37:04 -0700
I've used both drawn 6061-T6 and 6063-T832, the yield strength and other parameters are essentially the same. The yield strength for both is around 35-40k psi. Many other tempers of 6063 are not as strong.

See Table 3-1 Yield Strength of Aluminum and Steel Alloys, pg. 3-8, "Physical Design of Yagi Antennas." It shows both at 35,000 psi. A downloadable scan of my book is at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmhkeofz0igrg1e/Physical%20Design%20Of%20Yagi%20Antennas%20D%20B%20Leeson%20V2.pdf?dl=0

For another picture, see https://www.makeitfrom.com/material-properties/6061-T6-Aluminum/ and https://www.makeitfrom.com/material-properties/6063-T832-Aluminum/

You can always reinforce with inner tubing, see "Strengthening the Cushcraft 40-2CD," QST, Nov. 1991, pp. 36-42, https://k7vc.com/402cd.html See also Section 11.3.1 of Physical Design.

73 de Dave, W6NL/HC8L

On 8/12/24 1:58 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I am not a mechanical engineer or a metallurgist but I believe that the
tensile strength and yield strength for 6061-T6 and 6063-T8 are nearly
identical.  I used to buy 6061-T6 for all of my homebrew Yagis from Shapiro
Metal Supply and certainly did not pay $60-$80 for 72" pieces.  Lately I use
the 6063-T832 that DX Engineering sells.  I really would be surprised if
Cushcraft used 6061-T6, their aluminum always seemed soft to me.

John KK9A

Michael W1ECT wrote:

A couple of years ago we had a big ice storm here that damaged my
Cushcraft 40-2CD (2-el "shorty-forty") antenna.  It's been sitting
it in the basement for quite a while and I've finally gotten around
to refurbishing it.

The worst damage was to the innermost element sections (4) which were
badly bent and need to be replaced. I see that DXEngineering carries
the appropriately sized tubing: 1.250" OD, .058" wall, and 72" length.

Their price is reasonable at $21 each but the alloy is 6063-T832 and I'm
wondering if this will do the job.  I did some searching around the web
for 6061 tubing and found the prices to be around $60-$80 each!

Mike - W1ECT  (b1 at xmlog.com)