Re: [TowerTalk] BALUN revisited again

To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BALUN revisited again
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 11:31:32 -0700
On 4/7/2016 8:06 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:

lengthened and shortened? Well he has a pair of these ON STEROIDS.  They
collapse short enough to make a 1/2 wave dipole for 6m and extend long
enough to be a 1/2 wave dipole on 40 m.  They are robust stainless steel
(yeah, I know not the best conductor) but they will survive his use and

If I am reading this correctly, you are trying to say that each whip
extends to 33 feet, two of which would make a 1/2 wave dipole on
40 meters.  I suspect you or your friend are just confused and that
each whip only extends to 17 feet, two of which make a 1/2 wave
dipole on 20 meters.  On the off chance that your friend actually
has obtained 33 foot whips, I'm sure a lot of us would be interested
in finding out where to buy them.  The longest whip of this type I
am aware of is the MFJ-1979, at 17 feet.  (We are talking about
stainless steel, not fiberglass fishing poles, of which there are
many in many sizes.)

Regarding baluns, K9YC has already responded about those.
You should listen to him.

Thanks

73
Rick N6RK