Re: [TowerTalk] To guy or not to guy...that is the question

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kg0mn@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] To guy or not to guy...that is the question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:54:52 EDT

In a message dated 7/29/2010 9:45:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am just about to start the installation of my new 40'  Rohn 25 tower
and here
is a brief explanation of how it will be setup and  what will be on it.
Then you
can tell me whether guying the tower is  needed or not.  Due to the small
size of
my back yard the guy wires  would need to be adjust slightly to stay within
the
confines of my  yard.  The tower is going to be attached to a 4' short
tower
section  why will be placed into a 4' X 4' X 4" hole with 6 inches of sand
and
rock  at the bottom and the short tower section with be set into the rock
and
sand about 6".  The tower is going to be erected beside my detached  garage
which
measures 20 ft to the center peak.  Approximately two  feet from the peak
of the
roof I will be attaching a wall bracket which  will be held in place with
threaded readi-rod to a 4' X 4" pressured  treated piece of lumber that
will span
five studs inside the garage to  spread the load across the entire wall
instead
of depending on two  studs.

>  Now the antenna that will be mounted on the tower  which is going to be
approximately 40' is a Mosley TA-33 and a 5 element  440 antenna and a 6
element
2 meter antenna.  So with this setup can  I get by without the need for guy
wires?

    Current Rohn specs allow you to be about 15'  above the housebracket.
Your set-up will be at that or a little higher. The  windspeed for Ramsey
County is 80 MPH. Rohn spec is 10-11 square feet @ 80 MPH  for a housebracketed
tower. With an installation like you're proposing with  the hefty backing
plate, you shouldn't have any problems.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC