[TowerTalk] Vertical antennas and lightning

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical antennas and lightning
From: "Dan Schaaf" <dan-schaaf@att.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:20:26 -0400
Here is a vital question before I complete my vertical antenna design.

In the case of a ground to cloud lightning storm, is it better to have the
feedpoint of the antenna disconnected from coax or switch in a shunt inductor ?

In other words open circuit to ground or closed circuit to ground.
All coaxes will be disconnected at the entrance to the shack anyway, regardless.

Dan Schaaf
K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
Cape Cod Instruments www.gnm-inc.com
NOBSKA www.nobska.net

Sent from my Ham Radio computer since I do not have a Blackberry