Re: [TowerTalk] Re: linear loading

To: <K3BU@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: linear loading
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:44:58 -0800 (PST)
> I wonder if it is more due to the difference in size of wire used in
> them  (ohmic loses), or sort of linear loading that is arranged in the
> way that  contributes to radiation.
> Yuri

With linear loading, if you use thick wire (or tubing)
you reduce the inductance.  This forces you to stick
with thin wire.

In a lumped inductor, you can easily use thick wire
or tubing to reduce losses.  Also, the total length
of wire to build the coil will typically be considerably
less than the total length of wire in a linear loading
line.

What linear loading really is is realizing an inductance
by using a shorted stub of open wire line.  Open wire
line of the type typically used in linear loading doesn't
result in a high unloaded Q inductor.  Also, the inductance
is frequency sensitive, reducing the bandwidth.

Rick N6RK