Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 07:01:21 -0700

an oops in editing - I should have said "reduces the point to point resistance" in paragraph 2.

Grant KZ1W

On 6/26/2017 21:30 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:

.snip..
As a composite material then consider how the rebar matrix reduces the point to point conductivity much more. (I'll leave it to others to figure that out). Then consider how much area is in a Ufer foundation in contact with earth. In my case, about 250 sq ft for a tower base and 720 sq ft for a foundation. Both are wet year round. Compare to a 10' 5/8" ground rod at 1.6 sq ft of area. So the relative current density at the earth interface is 2+ orders of magnitude less for my tower base, assuming the current is uniformly distributed by the rebar matrix (which it isn't since rebar has inductance, but there is a lot in parallel).

..snip..