Re: [TowerTalk] Radials - bare or insulated?

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@stl-online.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials - bare or insulated?
From: KC1DI <davekc1di@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 06:42:59 -0400
On 8/22/06, Jim Miller <JimMiller@stl-online.net> wrote:

> Is there an advantage to using bare radial wires vs. insulated to get
> electrical contact with earth?  I used insulated 22 gauge wire (1000 ft) for
> radials around my vertical thinking it would last longer than bare
> wire.  Now I wonder if I hurt the performance.
>
> Tnx es 73, de Jim KG0KP
>
> Hi Jim,

Don't think you'd notice one bit of difference between bare and insulated
wire as far as the perfomance of the antenna goes.. it's not about ground
contact but capcitance to ground.
I have used verticals with excellent ground screens that used insulated
wire.. and also with bare.. it would not be worth the bother to replace them
now.. just ad more if you can.

73 , Dave KC1DI