RE: [TowerTalk] any engineers explain difference between

To: FireBrick <w9ol@billnjudy.com>,TowerTalk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] any engineers explain difference between
From: "Daly, Greg TQO" <gdaly@tqs.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:29:06 -0700

     You might want to look close at how the Warn winch works, make sure the
brake functions every time, or you may drop the load (gravity is more
reliable than machinery). Ramsey makes worm gear drive winches that need no
brake..... The Warn (on my wife's Suburban) is much faster and draws less
current then my Ramsey (on my Dodge pickup) but the brake can't fail..... On
the other hand the Warn's brake hasn't failed yet, but I hate surprises.
Most Winch ratings I've seen are for the first layer of cable, and the pull
is reduced as the spool gets bigger, another thing to think about.

73 Greg WB7RSG