Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Delta Loop

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Delta Loop
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 19:10:35 -0700
On 7/26/2024 5:30 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
Since we cannot change our ground conductivity, is there a number on the
chart where it's not worth installing a typical 80m 4 square (with buried
radials)?  It looks like many of the big New England contest stations are in
the 1-2 millimhos/meter zone.

Based on how KQ2M considers his 4-square a success with his poor ground, I'd say the decision for that ground quality comes down to whether it's practical to rig a very high dipole broadside to directions that are important to you.

With better ground, I'd model the difference with a vertical antenna between Bob's 1-2 millimhos and what yours is. And compare that with what you can get with that high dipole (if it's practical for you). Note the figure of merit for height of horizontal dipoles on 80 and 40M in the paper I linked.

Another point. I was beating N6RO into Asia on 80M with my dipole at 120 ft vs his 80M 4-square with elevated radials @10 ft. Two years ago, the team rigged a rotary dipole in the range of 160 ft, and they are kicking butt on that band! And I think they're on pretty good ground.

73, Jim K9YC